Last week's Newsbriefs included:
Arctic Sea Ice Rebounds, But Not Recovering
Over the last few decades, and particularly in recent years, the area of the Arctic Ocean covered by a skin of sea ice has steadily shrunk. But it's not just this extent that matters-the volume of sea ice, which takes into account its thickness, is also important, but traditionally much more difficult to measure.
The 2010 launch of the European Space Agency's CryoSat-2 satellite finally allowed scientists to take a wide-scale view of Arctic sea ice volume, and the first five years of data have yielded some surprises.
The volume of sea ice left at the end of the summer melt season seems to vary more from year to year than had perhaps been previously appreciated; after declining for several years, sea ice volume shot up after the unusually cool summer of 2013, the data revealed.
The authors of a new study reviewing the volume data, detailed on Monday in the journal Nature Geoscience, are quick to caution, though, that one single year of rebound doesn't suggest any sea ice recovery, as the overall trend is still downward. Rather, the view afforded by CryoSat-2 will help them get a better handle on the ice's future.
Last 30 Posts
- Climate change will force today’s kids to pay for costly carbon removal technologies, study says
- 14 Child Inventors who just Might Save the World
- ‘Solar paint’ breakthrough can provide endless energy source
- Rutgers Researchers Pivot to Green Entrepreneurs, Tackling Wind Energy Industry
- What you may not know about climate change
- Public Bids and Sustainability: Soft Costs, Hard Lessons
- Best Day Of My Life
- 8 Green Tips for Winter Lawn Care
- 7 foods that could go extinct thanks to climate change
- Artist Turns Trash Into Animals To Remind Us About Pollution
- How to develop environmentally friendly beauty routine
- Giant cruise ship makes historic voyage in melting Arctic
- Growing Your Own Food Can Help Reverse Climate Change
- This Animation Lets You Watch Global Warming Heat Up Over 166 Years
- What people get wrong about climate change
- Infographic – Footprint
- Haunting Images of Animals and Our Trash Shows What ‘Disposable’ Really Means
- 10 Photos Show The Reality Of A Warming Planet
- Batteries for the Home
- Plastic Doesn’t Belong in the Ocean
- Starving Polar Bear Has Become The New Icon Of Climate Change
- What the Earth would look like if all the ice melted
- Love Song To The Earth – OFFICIAL Lyric Video
- Spotlight – David Kessler
- Are We Making Our Kids Sick?
- Sustainability Easily Explained
- 15-Year-Old Climate Activist Speaks To UN General Assembly
- Does Recycling Actually Help?
- Climate Change Just Hit Home
- Breaking News/Newsbriefs